Water Works Theatre Company, Inc.
320 W. 7th Street, Suite 200
Royal Oak, MI 48067

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is your box office?
The box office is located at 1101 W. 13 Mile Road inside Starr Jaycee Park, and it opens one hour before show time. Tickets may be purchased there by cash or check. Please note: there is no phone at the park. For inquiries on non-performance days, please call the Water Works office at 248-399-3727.

How can I purchase tickets?
Visit our online tickets provider for Merry Wives of Windsor and Much Ado About Nothing performances. For the Shakespeare Duets Fundraiser, KidsAct! and WW Academy, visit our tickets page.
At the Park
Visit our box office at Starr Jaycee Park before the show to pay by cash or check.
You may also mail in your advance ticket order, with payment by check, to Water Works Theatre Company, 320 W. 7th Street, Suite 200, Royal Oak, MI 48067. At this time, we do not accept orders by phone.

Why won't the web site allow me to pick a performance date?
Once you buy a ticket, you can come to any performance we offer of that show. As an outdoor event with no assigned seating, we find it works best this way.

Why doesn't my ticket doesn't have a date?
Tickets are general admission and are good for any performance of that show.

Do you offer group discounts?
Yes. Advance-purchase group rates are available. Call our office at 248.399.3727 to talk about any group of ten (10) or more!

What if it rains?
Like a baseball game, we stop if it rains too much. If a show in progress is cancelled, audience members will receive "rain checks" that are good for any performance during the remainder of the run of that show. If the final performance is cancelled in progress, we offer a two-for-one ticket to next season's show. Water Works does not provide refunds.

How long are the performances?
Our Shakespeare shows last about two and a half hours with intermission. Our daylight family shows and student performances last about an hour.

Do you use professional actors?
Water Works Theatre Company prides itself on the exclusive use of local professional talent. All actors and designers are established or emerging professional Michigan theater artists.


Can I bring food or wine to the show?
Yes and No.

Patrons are welcome to picnic outside the theater in the pavilion we've rented for you, but our permit from the City of Royal Oak does not allow "outside" food or drink to be brought inside the enclosed theater area. Our concession booth offers a selection of inexpensive soft drinks, fresh popcorn and pre-packaged healthy treats for purchase.

We also offer beer and wine for sale during Merry Wives performances (proper ID required).

Alcohol, Smoking & Drug Policy: as a public, city-owned park, no alcohol or illegal/non-prescribed controlled substances may be possessed or consumed inside Starr Jaycee Park. Water Works asks that you kindly refrain from smoking within the theatre area and anywhere that might disturb our patrons or staff.

May I bring my pet?
No pet animals are allowed inside the theatre area. They may produce distractions that affect the work of the performers and the enjoyment of the audience. Additionally, Water Works Theatre Company rents this space from the City of Royal Oak and must insist that leash laws are obeyed. We strive to be good stewards of the park, and as such, it is important that we maintain the grounds that are entrusted to us in a clean and orderly manner.

Tell me about seating.
Seating is general admission and is assigned by our friendly ushers based on the size of your party and the size and type of seating you choose. Guests are encouraged to bring a lawn chair or blanket, or to take advantage of our bleacher seating (limited). Patrons with taller lawn chairs are seated behind those with lower chairs and blankets. Our Hospitality Tent also has blankets and seat cushions available for loan to make you more comfortable.

Is the theatre handicap accessible?
100%. Our ushers will gladly provide you with on-site assistance and early seating. For specific questions or special arrangements, call the Water Works office at 248.399.3727.

Where can I park?
Our theater is just a short walk from the parking areas in Starr Jaycee Park, including the grassy parking lot (Farley Field) on 13 Mile, just west of the baseball diamond. Additional free parking is available two blocks north of 13 Mile Road on Marais Street at the Royal Oak Board of Education building. Patrons wishing to drop off their chairs before parking may use the handicapped access in the central parking lot near the box office.

Can I take pictures or videos of the show?
In accordance with U.S. copyright laws and Actors' Equity Association rules, no individual photography or recording will be permitted during Merry Wives or Much Ado. There is no restriction on family recording or photography of KidsAct! or Water Works Academy workshop performances.

Can I still use the park if I don't buy a ticket to the show?
Yes. Water Works Theatre Company does not control the entire territory of Starr Jaycee Park during our events. We operate in a selected area of the park under a Special Event Permit issued by the City of Royal Oak, which gives us temporary rights and responsibilities in our part of the park. Public parking and restrooms are always available to all park patrons. However, several areas of the park are temporarily closed during Water Works performances and events:

Park Pavilions. Water Works rents the large central pavilion for our patrons and the small west pavilion for our production team. These will not be accessible to the public during our performances and events without express permission from Water Works management.

Play Structures Closed During Shows. The three children's play structures normally close at 9:00 p.m. Water Works is permitted to close the play structures during our performances to help minimize noise and distractions for our actors and audience members.

Disc Golf Course Holes Closed. For safety reasons, Water Works is permitted to close disc golf course holes number 9 and 18 during our performances. This also helps to minimize noise and distractions for our actors and audience members.

Baseball Diamonds and Volley Ball Area. One of the three baseball diamonds and the west volley ball area are unavailable during our event.


What time does KidsAct! begin and end?
KidsAct! and Water Works Academy sessions begin at 9 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. Parents may drop their children off as early as 8:30 a.m. Parents are asked to be prompt when picking up and dropping off their children. For more information, contact Megan Wright at kidsact@earthlink.net.

What happens if it rains?
Starr Jaycee Park has a storm shelter for those light summer rains.  But, in the event of unsafe weather, KidsAct! and Water Works Academy sessions will be held off-site in a nearby and safe facility.

Does Water Works provide any snacks or beverages?
Healthy snacks and water are provided daily; however, Water Works does not provide lunch. We suggest that each student bring a lunch, a beverage, insect repellent and sunscreen.

Are the KidsAct! children taught in groups according to their ages?

How many adults will be there to supervise?
There are four adults in the park at all times - three lead teachers and the KidsAct! Program Director. In addition, we have a number of student volunteers on-site every day.

I missed the registration deadline - is it too late to register my child?
Class size is limited, so early sign-up is encouraged. If you miss the deadline and still wish to register, please contact us at (248)399-3727, and we will accommodate your child to the best of our ability.

How long are the KidsAct! and Water Works Academy shows?
The shows are under an hour long.


How can I volunteer for Water Works?
Caught the theatre bug? Water Works has plenty of opportunities for interns, students and community-minded volunteers. From marketing to hospitality to backstage crew, let us know what interests you, and we'll find a fit! Call (248) 399-3727, or send us an email at waterworkstheatre@earthlink.net.

How can I become an usher?
Ushering is a fun and easy way to get involved - and to watch the show for free! Contact House Manager Holly Conroy at (248) 435-3777 to volunteer.

How can I find out about auditions?
Auditions for Water Works Theatre Company are posted on the Water Works Facebook page, as well as on EncoreMichigan.com. Please check both locations in December/January for audition notices, and "like" us on Facebook to stay in the loop!

How can I make a donation?
Donations up to $499 may be made online at our website. Checks can also be mailed to: Water Works Theatre Company, Inc., 320 West 7th Street, Suite 200, Royal Oak, MI 48067.